Sunday, November 13, 2011

Save Spider-man for the Children Part 2

The subject: A Stern Spider-man pinball machine born on July 06 2007 with 59,664 balls played.


Location: The Children's Hospital Fourth Floor- Chrissy Brown Oncology and Hematology Unit


On-site damage assessment: Filthy, broken and unplayable. Can not repair at location due to sterile environment.


Final note: No Problem!


First Step: Remove (steal) the Spider-man pinball machine from Oncology Unit without looking like a super villain! In the cover of darkness (and at dinner time) we rolled out our webslinger to the waiting getaway truck and back to the pin operating room.

After getting the Spidey all set up, I started with the Second Step: Get access to the playfield and backbox. I had to drill out both locks since the keys were no where to be found. Here is a picture of what is under the playfield, almost a mile of wiring, over 3,500 parts, over 100 light bulbs, electrical parts & solenoids.


Third Step: Start with condition and repair assessment. Looking at the playfield I noticed a lot (and I mean a lot) of black grimy dust. Dust stuck to the playfield, metal parts, wires, lamps, plastics, rubbers and under the playfield too, everything that I touch turn me black.


Sticking my head in the bottom of the cabinet I found parts from a flipper assembly. It turned out to be the left flipper had lost some parts. Boo. It happen to be the EOS (End of stroke switch) which is vital for the longevity and health of the flipper coil.


Fourth Step: Get surface black dust out of my way. I rolled Spidey outside and I fired up my air compressor and made a black cloud of debris that had me looking like a chimney sweep. If I chose not to do this every time that I would touch the inside of the machine I would get filthy then have a chance to transfer the grimy dirt to other areas. You can't clean it easily with soap and water because it will just swear or embed into whatever you were trying to clean. Next vacuum lightly to remove remaining black dust and debris.

Fifth Step: Photograph every thing. I whipped out the camera and started recording the condition and position of assemblies and parts for future reference and for me to share here.


Let me get back to the real work, I will write more later.



To be Continued...


You can visit us on Facebook at: Project Pinball

No comments: