Friday, August 5, 2011

Heading to Pittsburgh to play Pinball

A friend of mine has been to the PAPA pinball tournaments in the past & always bent my ear with an interesting story or two about it. So this year I set it as a self reward or goal to make it to Pittsburgh this year.

PAPA is the Professional & Amateur Pinball Association. They are hosting the PAPA 14 World Pinball Championships August 11th thru 14th.

It will be nice because it will be like a small homecoming as well, I born & raised in a small suburb right outside the city, very close to Scott township where the PAPA tournaments are held.

I am very much looking forward to my first real tournament setting. Sure, I played other small tournaments that were held, but this for real. Pinball Players from all over the world converge to this one building to do battle. There are top prizes & trophies given for succeeding high into the standings. First prize for A Division Players is $10,000 bones. Not too shabbily. Plus trophies & titles.

I will not be playing in the A Division though! I aim to start on the ground floor in C Division. I would have joined the D Division if PAPA had one, because it does not exist.

In the past, my skills were random at best but I have been doing the Rocky Balboa workout, raw eggs for breakfast, running around with logs on my shoulders while an old weathered man yells at me.

No, that’s not true. I did set some of my pinball machines as would be found in a World Class tournament so I could practice. Tilt mechs fine tuned, outlanes posts opened all the way, no ball save & no free extra balls awarded. Pins set up like this has your best score achieved drop by millions of points. I went from scores like 80 million to scant 6 million. Tough love.

I am going to get schooled in the finer arts of pinball tournament play. Hoorah, I can’t wait.

The PAPA Link is here: http://www.papa.org/index.php
They have all the information, directions & more on their site.

They have a cool blog site also called the Tilt Warning:
http://tiltwarning.com/blog/


If you read this & are attending come up & say hello. My name is Dan/ RGP Mole.

As always Have Fun.

No comments: